Are you looking for a mapmaker for an upcoming game or another project? There is also a plethora of map making software free. Each has its purpose and benefits so that you may select it based on your need.
Game Map Maker: This allows you to create combat maps for game purposes, which can be 3D or 2D. House Plan/Floor Plan Creator: This program creates a floor plan or a top/side view of a house or apartment.
Real Map Editor: It is the best real map, similar to Google Maps, but it only shows a city/state/country or a portion of a city, and you may use specialized signs to represent your services or particular indications by utilizing different-different signs.
20 Best Map Making Software (Free and Paid)
Here are some of the top map creator software options (both free and paid) for you to consider.
1. Blender – Free
Software for creating maps in Blender. Blender is a cross-platform software that works on Linux, macOS, and Windows. Blender also offers low memory and drive needs compared to competing for 3D development tools.
Blender is an open-source project created by hundreds of individuals from all over the world. It allows the user to customize the majority of its interface colour options. Blender is more than just a mapmaker; it can also create 3D visualizations such as still images, VFX shots, 3D animations, and video editing.
- The most effective free map creator
- Suite for open source 3D creation
- Cross-platform software
- Active community support for high-quality 3D architecture
2. Dungeonfog – Paid
Software for creating dungeonfog maps. Dungeonfog lets you draw your map instead of patching it up tile by tile, and it includes 300 textures for walls and floors, as well as the option to upload your own. As a result, drawing the maps in a few minutes is fairly simple. In addition, the viewer allows you to experiment with your maps digitally.
Each room on your map is detected and transformed into a detailed note, including room numbers, descriptions of the walls and floors, and any enclosed objects. This information is also editable and downloaded.
- Battle maps are easy to create.
- Instead of patching Battle maps it up tile by tile, the viewer allows you to play digitally Direct draw 300+ textures for walls and floors.
3. FlowScape – Paid
FlowScape map-creation software. FlowScape allows you to create your natural environment effortlessly. It has a variety of trees, buildings, forts, mountains, flowers, wild critters, and other features. To control where items get painted, the toolbar provides complex paint choices such as alignment to landscape, size, brush flow, random leaning, growing pace, and layers. Objects such as twigs, rocks, logs, and leaves can be dropped.
- Allows you to create a 3D Maps Morden nature scene by just painting 20 sceneries.
- 300+ 3D Arts 24 4k textures for your landscape
- 12 distinct skies
4. Dungeon Painter Studio – Paid
Map making software for Dungeon Painter Studio. Dungeon Painter Studio is a very powerful encounter map creation program that includes several features such as Layers and Groups. Easy import of business art Easy export to FG, TS, roll20, and other VTT All objects can be modified.
- Dragonville tileset now includes over 50 additional high-quality hand-painted textures.
- Tilesets for indoor, outdoor, and world maps
- Export to Tabletop Simulator, Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and other VTTs is easy.
- All objects can be modified.
- Operations of addition and subtraction
- Easy import of custom art and sketches
- D20 random generator dungeons import with a single click
- As a print, export to a multipage pdf.
5. Inkrnate – Paid and Free
Making an inkarnate map software. Inkernate features a straightforward user interface. It adapts automatically to present you with the tools you need, allowing you to bring your worlds to life without any creative ability effortlessly. Incarnate is accessible in both free and paid versions.
The free edition of Inkrnate includes 200+ HD art assets, while the paid version contains 1600+ HD art assets and the ability to upload your own. You may export your map with a resolution of up to 8K and create up to 1000 maps. It allows you to create great fantasy maps that look stunning in digital and printed media.
- Creating a world, regional, city, and village map is easy.
- Simple and intuitive interface
- Arts of high grade (1600+)
- Asset diversification
- Rapid-fire generator
- Updates on the arts and other topics are made regularly.
- Reddit has an active user community.
6. HexTML – Free
HexTML is an online hex map creator and campaign manager for tabletop roleplaying games. You may use it to create a world for your D&D game or any other tabletop RPG campaign. HexTML map creation software
- Easy to Use best Online Editor Collaborative Map Making
- Upload of local textures and images
- Better random generation with biomes and other things
- Tiles with many layers
7. Dungeon Painter – Free
Map-making software for Dungeon Painter. Dungeon Painter is a versatile encounter map creation tool with several features. It aids in producing high-quality printed and high-resolution maps. It offers a wide range of objects to adorn pub tables, magical towers, workshops, and armories.
- To create lands and lakes, use the Puddle tool.
- Spline tool for making roads and rivers
- Export to JPEG, PNG, and PDF formats
- A diverse range of objects and textures
- Map sharing via an internet gallery
- Groups and layers
- Hexagonal and square grids
8. Mapforge – Paid and Free
Mapmaking software Mapforge. Mapforge is the best way to create tactical-scale combat maps for use in RPGs, whether these maps will be printed for use in face to face gaming sessions or in various virtual tabletop applications.
- It is available for both your Windows and Mac.
- Assemble existing map tiles into a vast map layout quickly.
- Any item’s placement, size, rotation, and opacity may be changed.
- To create distinctive effects, use bitmap filters.
- Layers of support
9. Wonderdraft – Paid
Wonderdraft map-creation software. This one is reasonably priced on the map compared to other paid map manufacturers. It lets you create realistic landmasses of various varieties or design a t-shirt. It is compatible with Linux, Windows, and Mac OS.
With a few clicks, Wonderdraft allows you to draw gorgeous rivers and roadways. It provides DRM-free software as well as royalty-free user-created content.
- When compared to other paid map creators, it is less expensive.
- There are versions for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Coastlines that are automatically beautified
- Map size up to 8192 pixels
- DRM-free software and royalty-free user-created content Active Reddit Community
10. GIMP (Free)
GIMP is a map-making software. GIMP has excellent colour management features provide high-fidelity colour reproduction on digital and printed media. It is a free tool that may be used for picture retouching, image composition, and image creating. Whether you’re a graphic designer, photographer, artist, or scientist, GIMP has the tools you need to get the job done.
- Interface customization
- Image enhancement
- Digital retouching
- File formats are supported.
- Windows, Linux, Sun OpenSolaris, FreeBSD, and Mac are all supported.
Map Making Software
19. GM Friend